Ok, so I went all crunchy granola and finally got up the courage to try cooking tofu. I am not going to tell you how many times I have purchased tofu only to freak out and throw it out because it just plain old gives me the willies.
Thug Kitchen made me do it.
Anyhow, this marinade rocks. Grammy had no idea that this wasn't chicken!
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger (I left this out since Mr. Smith does not like ginger and we did not miss it)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons Sriracha or similar hot sauce
2 cloves garlic, thickly sliced ( I used minced)
1. Drain the tofu, wrap it in some paper towels or a clean dish cloth, put it between two plates with a can of beans on top to weight it and press out all the water. Leave it to drain for about 1 hour.
2. Mix together the rest of the ingredients in a 9x13 pan.
3. Cut the tofu into slices. You should get about 12 slices. Put them in the marinade for at least 2 hours, but as long as 8. I turned them a few times to make sure they all got an even dose of marinade.
4. Preheat the oven to 450. Grease a baking sheet.
5. Take the tofu out of the marinade (keep the marinade). Place the tofu on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, flip, and spoon marinade on each piece. Bake for 10 more minutes, flip and sauce again. Bake for a final 5 minutes. It will look burned, but believe me, it isn't. It is getting delicious. Let it stand for a few minutes to set and the serve or dice it up and add to what you want.